Last month I went to some of the Sewcials run by Sarah at Fabrics for All after hours on a Thursday. These are a great way to meet new like minded Sewists and share all the different techniques. It’s also an opportunity to stroke all the fabrics. Whilst there I spotted a beautiful roll of corduroy just in and couldn’t stop stroking it. This one is called Rose Pavillion and at first I thought it was a perfect autumn fabric but on looking closer it has pink, gold and light green so is perfect for spring too.
At first I thought this was perfect for a Tilly and the buttons Ness skirt and it is (because I have a purple cord one) but I have never lined a skirt and I have the Nina Lee Camden pattern and that has instructions for lining so I thought I would try that and learn a new technique. Cord skirts stick to tights so really need a lining.
Did I mention it also has massive pockets!
These are huge, you line them first, trim and turn and then topstitch onto the fronts. In the spirit of trying to use up spare pieces of fabric I found this slippery fabric that has beaten me as a top but was perfect for pocket linings. It’s actually a lime green stripe but you can’t see that unless you look inside my pocket. Another newish technique for me was to insert an invisible zip and gosh I kept putting this off. YouTube is perfect for seeing things done, I am a visual learner and one trick I learnt was to iron on tape to support where the zip goes.
This is my older Bernina 801 but this is the one I have the right zip foot for. I oiled her and tried all the stitches on plain fabric to make sure she was running ok then tried to insert the zip. Oh dear!! good job I supported the zip area with tape. Corduroy doesnt like to be unpicked but thats what I had to do, twice!! In the end I gave in and used my newer Bernina 350 with its narrow zip foot, almost perfect. Except by procrastinating for so long I should have added the waistband before inserting the zip. No worry that’s what hook and eyes were created for. You are also supposed to line the skirt before the zip so I got everything in the wrong order. My fault not the instructions. I used a brown anti static lining and decided to french seam the sides and narrow hemmed the bottom making sure it is shorter than the skirt.
I wear my Ness skirt every week to work and want this skirt to be the same. Lining it makes it more comfortable to wear and prolongs the life of the skirt. Win, win. I wanted to finish the hem of the skirt with bias binding but for now I have overlocked and turned up a small amount. I want to be sure after wearing a few times its the right length.
Yorkshire has had three weekends of rain and gales, not very good for blog photos but on Sunday we had a window of sun so off we rushed out to the garden.
I love the length and think it looks fine with thick tights and boots. With the light colours I also think this will be lovely with sandals and a tee shirt so I am really happy now with this make. I will make this pattern again probably in a dark denim for next winter but for now I am moving onto Spring and lighter colours.
My blog for Fabrics for All next month is all about jerseys for holidays. Expect cactus and seagulls.
Thank you to Sarah at Fabrics for All for providing the fabric. It was my choice as was the pattern I decided to make.
Happy Sewing K xXx