Two Fiddly Fabrics with Fabby Results

Hi Guys how are we all? Life is a bit different at the moment isnt it. Some are working harder, shops, homeschooling parents also working from home. Then there are people like me, kids grown up and left home and furloughed from work. The latter sounds to the former like bliss but its hard not knowing when work will start again and free time takes on a whole new meaning.

Sewing fills that gap perfectly. Crafting and creating is satisfying on so many levels and its good to make clothes and furnishings useful and needed.

For my Fabrics For All make this month I have 2 fabrics that are a little more fiddly but give fabulous results. Linen and linen mix and a viscose jersey.

For the linen I decided to mix two colours and make the Kabuki Tee by Paper Theory Patterns. The example on their website is plain white and looks stunning but anyone who knows me knows I love my bright colours. My choices were the tropical print linen mix in ochre, this is a viscose/linen mix and a hot pink ramie for the sleeves. I washed my fabrics first and both fabrics softened really well especially the viscose mix. This is so soft now against the skin. The pattern is simply front, back and sleeves. Just really quirky shapes to get the right angles on the fit.


Linen frays quite badly and in hindsight I should have overlocked the cut out pieces before sewing together. They went together really well at the corners but then the fraying started so I have ironed on some knit stay tape to fix the edges. This should save it when washing and wearing and its already had quite some wear as its such a lovely loose, cool pattern to wear. The neckline was finished in some pink bias binding I already had and then of course I had to make one for Heather my sidekick.


The next fiddly fabric is a splodgy viscose jersey. Its only fiddly because its soft and slippy but when made up thats where the lovely drape comes from. It doesnt stick to your shape like a cotton jersey but skims. A little more flattering when you have an increased lockdown waistline!!

A few years ago I was persuaded by other bloggers that a walking foot for my Bernina was a sound investment and it was. It hardly ever comes off my machine. It not only feeds fabric evenly but it has many markings on the foot for lining up seams and hems.


During MeMadeMay2020 Lisa @ukpoppyberry shared how she altered the neckline on the Tilly and the Buttons Tabitha Tee This is the one from the Make it Simple book. Its a really good book and I have made quite a few things from it already. I liked the Tabitha as it has straight sides, not fitted, so I thought this viscose jersey would drape nicely.


I trimmed my pattern as she advised and remeasured the neckline for the binding. As this fabric is very stretchy I cut 80% of the neckline measurement for the binding and this went in well. It could have taken a bit less too but I am quite happy with the fit. My way of fitting necks is to quarter and pin on the binding. Then I sew with a zigzgag (easy to unpick if necessary). If its ok I overlock to tidy the ends then I zig zag down the band from the rightside using the markers on my walking foot. The hem and sleeves were just ironed up and the walking foot zig zagged nicely over to hold down the edges.

With the new lower neckline and the straight sides I think this could become my go to tee. I have so many variations to try too, its lovely as a ringer tee with coloured bands and also I still need to try it with longer sleeves.

Again my sidekick needed her own version.


So thats another two lovely makes from Fabrics For All.

Fabrics were provided to me, both fabric and pattern choices were my own.

Sarah is re opening tomorrow at 10am. Well done for keeping things going.

Thank you and Good Luck.

Happy Sewing K xXx